Dental cleanings and exams are important because they:
- Help prevent tooth decay.
- Help prevent gum (periodontal) disease, which can damage gum tissue and the bones that support teeth, and in the long term can lead to the loss of teeth.
- Shorten time with the dentist and dental hygienist, and make the trip more pleasant.
- Save money. By preventing tooth decay and gum disease, you can reduce the need for fillings and other costly procedures.
- Help prevent bad breath. Brushing and flossing rid your mouth of the bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Help keep teeth white by preventing staining from food, drinks, and tobacco.
- Improve overall health by removing harmful bacteria which can cause systemic illness.
- Make it possible for your teeth to last a lifetime